Monday, March 05, 2007

Teach Your Children Well

When I was growing up, my parents were very diligent in reading regularly to me and my brother. In doing so, my parents instilled in me from a young age the importance of literature, especially the value of knowing God’s literature, the Bible. In addition to reading Scripture with us, my mom and dad were consistent in introducing us to other quality books, most memorably, Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress and The Holy War, Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia, along with countless biographies of men like William Carey, George Mueller, Teddy Roosevelt (“Bully!”), Robert E. Lee, Jim Elliot, and other accounts of God’s providence in the lives of real people in history.

But on top of all of these terrific books, there was one exercise which my parents were dedicated to helping Paul and I do: catechism.

About a year ago I heard Alistair Begg speak at a local church here in Gilbert. In his message that evening he discussed the lack of doctrinal knowledge and spiritual maturity in churches today. He attributed this in part to poor training in Christian homes and in another part to poor preaching in Christian churches. He mentioned the Puritans, and even more recent generations of Christians, and how they were extremely thorough in the doctrinal training of their young people. But somehow in the latter days, children are being raised in homes and churches where there is very little emphasis placed upon theological understanding and training.

I have been to different youth groups, Sunday School classes, Christian school chapekl services, conferences, and churches, and I can truly agree with Alistair Begg’s diagnosis of the problem with youth today. They are not being given a solid, doctrinal foundation upon which to grow spiritually. The Christian leaders in their lives are not working hard to teach even the basics of Christianity to their youth. In other words, the baton is being dropped.

Just last month I attended a conference at which author and speaker Josh McDowell was speaking on a similar topic. He mentioned how the generation of his grandchildren—today’s teens and pre-teens—is being bombarded with postmodern thinking on every front: at school, on television, in Hollywood, in magazines, on the internet, in the news media, at home, and even at church. Spirituality has become little more than a personal feeling, experience, or opinion. Even the fundamentals of the faith are forgotten or ignored. As Pastor Begg accurately mentioned, this is mostly why the Da Vinci Code was such a huge phenomenon for Christians. As he said,
Why do you think so many books were printed for Christians on the subject of Christ’s divinity and the authority of Scripture?
Because so many Christians were confused and bewildered by the ideas that Dan Brown was presenting.
And why were Christians confused?
Because they are ignorant as to some of the most essential tenets of biblical Christianity.
And why are so many Christians so ignorant?
Because the Bible is not properly being exegeted and expounded in by church pastors.

O that parents would teach and pastors would preach the fundamental doctrines of the Bible again!

God has given us so many tools by which we can learn about Him. One of these devices is catechism. Catechism is a systematic way of teaching someone the basic (and not-so-basic) truths of the Bible. A good catechism thoroughly covers topics such as God (His being, nature, attributes, tri-unity, etc.), Christ, sin, repentance, substitutionary atonement, justification, sanctification, God’s Word, heaven, and hell. These are the exact things that Christians need to know, but often don’t. Thus, it’s no wonder so many Christians are afraid to witness to unbelievers—they hardly know what they believe for themselves, how could they share that with someone else? It’s no wonder Christians shrink back in fear when another article or book or movie comes out in an attempt to discredit the deity of Jesus Christ. It’s no wonder young people buy into the philosophies of the day taught to them by their college professors, movies, or magazines. They were never taught by their parents the fundamentals of the faith.

I am so thankful for the biblical education with which my parents blessed me! I thank the Lord that I was warned about Mr. Worldly Wiseman, Vanity Fair, and the Flatterer before I became too set in my ways. I thank the Lord that I was taught to guard Eye Gate, Ear Gate, and Mouth Gate. I thank the Lord for men of character who were moral leaders and examples of godliness. I thank the Lord that I was raised in a good church with sound preaching from caring elders and biblical teaching from loving Sunday School teachers. And I thank the Lord that on at the age of five I was able to share with two Mormon missionaries at our door what the “chief end of man” is.

Please take another moment to read Pastor Tom Chantry’s post on the Benefits of Catechism.


God bless!


No comments:

"...Let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."