Saturday, March 10, 2007

Death

For those who know me best, you probably know that the subject of death is one that I actually enjoy thinking about and discussing because, in part, it causes me to think about my life, my God, and the destiny that awaits me.

This last week John Piper's father passed from this world into another. Today, his soul rests in heaven.

As I read what Piper wrote concerning his father's last moments on earth and his own personal thoughts at the time of his dad's death--and thereafter--I was deeply moved. More importantly, I was encouraged. It made me think about how much of an impact Christian parents can have upon their children, and how their children may be used of God. I think about men like John Piper who have been used of God to preach, shepherd, write, and teach for the advancement of Christ's kingdom; and I think about the parents of men like these. While some of the parents of great Christian leaders are/were not believers, many men--like Augustine, Spurgeon, Piper, etc.--did have parents who were faithful to introduce their children to a knowledge of Jesus Christ and pray diligently for God to save them. These children grew up to call their parents blessed.

Please take a minute to read Piper's account of his father's death:

Tuesday, March 6, 2007. 2 a.m.

The big hospital clock in room 4326 of Greenville Memorial Hospital said, with both hands straight up, midnight. Daddy had just taken his last breath. My watch said 12:01, March 6, 2007.

I had slept a little since his last morphine shot at ten. One ear sleeping, one on the breathing. At 11:45, I awoke. The breaths were coming more frequently and were very shallow. I will not sleep again, I thought. For ten minutes, I prayed aloud into his left ear with Bible texts and pleadings to Jesus to come and take him. I had made this case before, and this time felt an unusual sense of partnership with Daddy as I pressed on the Lord to relieve this warrior of his burden.

Read the rest of the story here.

No comments:

"...Let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."